MPPS NEWSLETTER 24/11/2016
ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL'S REPORT
Child Safety Standards
Mentone Park Primary School is a child safe environment whereby all
members of our community, whether staff, volunteers or contract workers are
compliant with the Child Safety Standards - compulsory minimum standards for
all Victorian schools, to ensure they are well prepared to protect children
from abuse and neglect.
PaThe Victorian Government is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people. As part of the Victorian Government’s commitment to implementing the recommendations of the Betrayal of Trust report, there is a new regulatory landscape surrounding child safety, underpinned by new Child Safety Standards.
To create and maintain a child safe organisation, the following Child Safety Standards apply:
1. strategies to embed an organisational culture of child safety, including through effective leadership arrangements
2. a child safe policy or statement of commitment to child safety
3. a code of conduct that establishes clear expectations for appropriate behaviour with children
4. screening, supervision, training and other human resources practices that reduce the risk of child abuse by new and existing personnel
5. processes for responding to and reporting suspected child abuse
6. strategies to identify and reduce or remove risks of child abuse
7. strategies to promote the participation and empowerment of children.
Ministerial Order No. 870, which operationalises the Child Safety Standards in all Victorian schools, came into operation on the 1st August this year. The purpose of the Child Safety Standards is not to impose an undue burden on organisations or regulators, and the initial focus of the Government will be on building the capacity of organisations, rather than on regulation and compliance.
MPPS have revised some of its policies and procedures to ensure we are a 100% child safe organisation. These policies and compliance statements can be viewed by clicking on the links below. To read more about the Child Safety Standards, please visit the following web addresses.
Mentone Park Primary School Child
Safety Compliance Documents:
1. Child Safety and Effective Leadership
Prep 2017 Transition – Tabloid Fun and Games
A HUGE thank you to the wonderful parents who cooked and served sausages and icy poles to ALL the hungry children. Thank you also for serving tea and coffee in the Kids Café to the parents waiting for their children to complete the activities. So very much appreciated.
Thank you to all the staff who helped the session ran smoothly – helping at the activities, setting up, switching planning times and even giving up their rooms.
Congratulations and thank you to the grade 5 students! What a brilliant job they did helping, supporting and encouraging the kinder children throughout the activities. You will be wonderful school leaders next year.